Have you ever imagined how great it is if you are catering your own New Year’s Eve party? Don’t wait for longer time. Cooking menu for your New Year party would be a great experience, try this recipe as another New Year party alternative dish. Winter greens are topped with delicate grapefruit and crab for a light salad that provides a break from the rich flavors of the soup and the main course to follow.
- 2 bunches watercress, washed and dried
- 1/2 pound Belgian endive, washed, dried and torn into pieces
- 3 cups baby spinach or arugula, washed and dried
- 2 cups lump crab meat
- 3 ruby grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 2 cups dry white wine (Fume Blanc or Chardonnay)
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and finely minced
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- For the vinaigrette, place wine in black tableware item and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and reduce to 1/2 plastic cup liquid. Remove from heat and add shallots and lemon zest. Let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Continue whisking and add oil; stop to taste (you may not need all the oil). Dressing should be tangy and full flavored. Set aside. Dressing can be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated.
- In large bowl, toss together greens, crab and grapefruit. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat evenly.